In this course you will learn to:
- Think, speak and write critically about meaningful topics that affect your life.
- Discover truth, beauty, and enjoyment through writing;
- Share your thoughts and writings with fellow classmates, thus creating a real sense of audience (and community) while developing interpersonal skills;
- Analyze examples of effective and ineffective writing in order to emulate what works and avoid what doesn’t work;
- Understand how audience and purpose guides style, content, and organization in writing;
- Generate a thesis and organize relevant support using rhetorical strategies appropriate for the context;
- Use principles of free-writing, drafting, revision and editing to achieve polished prose;
- Identify and correct common sentence level errors.